This post might be a little dull to some people, but I wanted to try to document some of the process behind finding and fitting artwork to the beautiful frames that I've found in various junk shops, vintage stores, and antique emporiums over the last few years.
Framing textile artwork can be so tricky, anything with glass tends to squish any raised stitching, and with no glass, artwork can fall out. I've recently been trying to hunt for lots of old vintage/antique frames to frame some of my finished pieces.
I found this sweet little matching pair in an antiques emporium, and just had to make something custom to fit in them. It's only just begun, but I can't wait to see how these works take shape. I'm even going to be stitching on some vintage velvet that used to be a jacket which is another reason to feel good about giving something old, new life!
I've had this lovely domed glass frame for some time, but it finally seemed to fit this embroidery perfectly. I wish it were easier to find frames like this, they're so small and precious, perfect for finishing off little embroideries like this.
I've had this lovely golden frame for a while too, this 'Night Flight' embroidery was done especially to fit the frame after I found it. I loved the back on it, with the little rivets and wood details. It's such a cliché but why don't people make frames like this anymore, they're so beautiful and age so well, my IKEA frames seem to fall apart after a few cycles of changeovers.
This very ornate, brass frame is one of a pair that I made an embroidery to sit in, they're antique Italian frames that came with flocked paper backings that were so sun-bleached they had lost most of their colour. I still have the second frame vacant, but hope to make something to sit inside it soon.
One last cute little brass frame, this one is really unusual and unscrews from the top pin and you have to gently pull apart the frame to change over the contents, but nonetheless a really pretty way to house small pieces. I'm finding that I much prefer to wait to find proper frames like some of the ones on this blog post, compared to how I've always finished off my work by fixing it to the hoop it was made on. It's definitely worth the effort, even when they can be really difficult to source.